Quilt Projects

Click directly on the image(s) above
to open the slide show in a larger window.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Time Out

The center of my Grandmother's Pride block baby quilt is done along with a first border.

But this is the partially done second try at an outer border I've made today and I'm not liking it any more than the first one I did.

So I think the quilt (such as it is) is going to have to hang on the design wall for a while until the right idea comes to me. Sometimes I think either a quilt has to have a rest period, or I do. I need to give this one time to tell me what to do to finish it.

I used to get very frustrated at not being able to work a project all the way through to the end, but now know it's just a little mole hill.

Is it a mountain or a mole hill? When my husband was teaching third grade, often a little person (or group of little people) would come up to his desk crying or angry. Somebody (or more than one somebody) would be very upset. He would patiently listen to what everyone had to say and then pose the question, "Is this a mountain or a mole hill?" At the beginning of the year with a new group of kids, often they didn't understand what that meant.

As the year went on, he was always amused when a child got upset for one reason or another and before he, as the teacher, had to enter into the fray, another student would say in a very teacher-like voice, "Billy, is that a mountain or a mole hill?" And the discussion would start, the situation would be worked through and Roy never had to say one word.

So my little mole hill of a problem concerning the best outer border on this quilt is no big deal. Rather than remaining stubborn and banging my head against the design wall this afternoon, I'm going to start on another project I already have in mind. And I'm confident that if I just wait for the appropriate moment, the solution for this quilt will easily come to me.

10 comments:

Gigi's Thimble said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This baby quilt is beautiful! I love your choice of fabrics & I also really love your "Barnyard Parade" quilt in the post below. The pinwheel border is stunning!

Diane said...

Mountain or mole hill... I love the purple with that buttery color.

beth said...

very curious to know what your next project is.?? This quilt is lovely no matter what you decide!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Does it really need a second border? If not, why not finish it with a purple binding instead? Just thinking out loud...

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Amber - Thank you for your kind words! Can you go wrong with the lovely, old traditional pinwheel block? It always looks good!

Hi, Diane - I know some people shy away from the color purple in their quilts, but I think this one works pretty well!

Hey, Beth - Stick around . . . you know I'll be posting about my next project right here!

Hi, Jen - Well, ya know, that was my original intention . . . not to add another border. But as is, it measures only 33" x 41-1/2" and that seemed a bit on the small size to me. What you think??

Jenyfer Matthews said...

You could add another narrow purple strip (same as the sashing width) and then bind it. It would be smaller than your other projects perhaps, but lovely in its own right. Better than trying to 'force' on another border to make up the size (been there, done that!)

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Purple picket fence!

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Jen - "Purple picket fence???" Huh?

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Translation: If you wanted to make it bigger, you could add a purple picket fence border. However you'd probably have to make the yellow border a bit narrower first so it would balance properly.

I think I'd just bind it in purple and let it be dainty and small. Not everyone wants a "huge" baby quilt after all.

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Jen - You have convinced me, my friend. I am going to just go ahead and bind the dang little thing. That's what I had planned on doing in the first place . . . that's how I wanted it to look. Gotta get over the "bigger is better" mentality. I agree with you fully that you don't always want a baby quilt the size of Rhode Island to drag around with you. Thanks for all your helpful input.