Quilt Projects

Click directly on the image(s) above
to open the slide show in a larger window.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Peek At The Latest Baby Quilt

It's funny how I can have an idea in my head of a quilt I want to make, but almost from the get-go plans get changed.

I wanted to use this fabric as the background and outer border focal fabric and imagined using it with shades of pink and purple. The purples jumped out at me immediately. Easy on that count.

What about the pinks? Let me say, I've got a fairly good stash of pinks, but do you think I could find even one piece that looked good with my focal fabric? Nope. So then I tried some greens. Ooooh, no, not at all. How about some darker yellows? That floated like a lead balloon also.

Well, why don't I use just the two purples? That idea was starting to sound very good. (Small delay in progress while I put away stacks and stacks of pink, green and yellow fabric.)

I'm using the Grandmother's Pride block and have the twelve of them that will be the center of the quilt done.

Another little change the quilt insisted upon . . . originally, I had intended to put the blocks together without sashing but once again, the picture in my mind's eye didn't match with the way the blocks looked when I got them all up on my design wall. Even though I really like this particular block, I think it needed the sashing as a frame.

So I'm in the process of adding the sashing and will try to post a picture later today (or tomorrow . . . the house has GOT to be shoveled out today) of the center completed.

Stay tuned . . .

8 comments:

beth said...

This one will be so nice! Will you be putting cornerstones in the sashing? I love this block and would love to make a quilt with them too...so many quilts...so little time!

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Beth - I did contemplate cornerstones when I had these blocks up on the wall but decided not to include them. (I'll probably get it all together and think, "Yup, shoulda put in those cornerstones!")

Do you think we'll EVER run out of ideas for quilts??

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Funny how fabric speaks to you, isn't it. And in this case, it was correct because those shades of purple look fabulous :)

Can't wait to see the whole thing finished.

(I totally sympathize with the need to shovel out the house - mine got so bad while I was away I'm having to doing it room by room!)

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

I love the purple and yellow together. Can't wait to see it finished.

Sandy said...

I'm not a big purple fan, but I REALLY like this block....I would love a quilt with those fabrics, good job!

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Jen - What I don't understand is why sometimes color combos come so easily, and other times they come so H - A - R - D!!?

Hey, why not sew - I'll never use purple and yellow as decorating colors in my house (probably 'cause I look so terrible when I try to wear purple!) but I do love it in a quilt I'm not going to keep.

Hi, Sandy - Hey! I think that's a compliment since you're not a purple fan! Thanks!

MaineCelt said...

I really love the purple/yellow combo on this quilt--not only because it looks great, but also because it defies the old "pink vs. blue" rule of babystuff in general. Pink and blue are so overused that a different colour scheme is a real treat!

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, MaineCelt - I've gotta admit the ol' pink and blue in a baby quilt don't do much to excite my creativity in quilting . . . although I have been known to use them. (Successfully, I hope.) There are so many beautiful fabrics out there today to work with. And I tend toward the brighter, more vibrant colors anyway.

Thanks so much for looking at my quilting blog and your kind words!