Quilt Projects

Click directly on the image(s) above
to open the slide show in a larger window.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Really Good Reference Book

Yesterday Eva wrote a comment on my post of this past Monday regarding my baby quilt, "Little Boy Blue." She noticed the corner squares in the sashing on this little quilt and wondered if there was a tutorial somewhere that would show her how to do that. I wrote back to her suggesting she could look up easy-to-follow instructions in a great reference book (her local library would probably have a copy) that I know of.

The book is (take a deep breath . . . it's a killer of a title) "The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide from A to Z - Hundreds of Tips and Techniques for Successful Quiltmaking." Whew. The editor is Ellen Pahl, and it's put out by Rodale.

I've had my copy since l998 and use it A LOT. I don't think I've ever gone to it and not found the information I was looking for.

The text is detailed, easy to understand and the illustrations are colorful and extremely good.

It covers a wide range of quilting topics. Just opening the book randomly here on my desk:

Fusible Interfacing - How to Use for Applique, Tips for Successful Fusing, and Reversing a Pattern using Fusible Interfacing are a few of the things covered in this section.

Marking Quilt Tops - Oh, my. There are five pages on this topic. Everything you ever wanted to know . . . plus a little more!

Bindings and Other Edge Finishes - This section has ten pages and includes How to Make a Continuous Sew-and-Cut Bias Binding. I refer to this every time I make a continuous bias binding to make sure I'm doing it right. Mental block there, Mama Pea?

Cathedral Window Quilt Block - Clear instructions including excellent pictures on how to construct this (seemingly complicated) block.

The price on the back of my book is $29.95 but I just checked on Amazon and they currently list new copies from $10.99 and used from $9.05. Well worth the investment in my estimation.

The book is so well done that I've sat down with it of an evening and read parts of it like a novel . . . and I always learn something new!

If this piques your interest, as I suggested to Eva, you could check out a copy at your local library before deciding if you wanted to purchase a copy of your own.

7 comments:

beth said...

No wonder you're such an expert! that sounds like a great book! I read those quilt books and magazines from cover to cover too. There's always something new to learn.

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hey, Beth - Pishaw! I am NO expert by any stretch of the imagination. I didn't even know enough to BUY this book. It was given to me as a gift. And what a wonderful gift it turned out to be.

Now I'm going to bed early so I can get in some early morning hours of quilting tomorrow!

Val said...

I am planning a library trip within the next couple of weeks. I will check this book out if they have it.

eva said...

Thanks Mama....

this is perfect.... some books are just meant to be bought; they never get outdated!!

xo
thanks bundles & bushels
eva

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Valerie - If they don't have it on the shelves, they can order it for you from one of their other affiliated libraries, I'm sure.

Hey, Eva - You're so very welcome! Once you see how setting the corner squares in a sashing is done you'll be amazed at how EASY it really is.

Jenyfer Matthews said...

That is my favorite book as well :)

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Jen - What good taste you have! ;o)