Quilt Projects

Click directly on the image(s) above
to open the slide show in a larger window.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Big Birds

This is what is on my design wall in my quilt studio right now. That's where I want to be. In my quilt studio right now. But I have a big batch of dishes to do, Oatmeal Cookies to mix and bake, a dinner to plan, blah-blah-blah-blah. Oh, and of course, this very important blog post to get up.

This block is called Flying Birds and the finished size is 9". Wow. I haven't made that big a block in a long time. (Have I ever made that big a block?) The quilt is to be another baby quilt (what else?), and so far I'm just playing around with the blocks as I get them done, trying to figure out how I want to use them.

All the fabric is pulled out of my stash. The backing will be (as of this moment anyway) the blue in the block in the upper row, third from the left. I have three yards of it so it will be good to use some of it in this quilt. I bought the piece about a year ago online to match something else but it was just "off" enough to look awful. We all know that happens every now and then when you send your order and money out into cyberspace.

I'm going to stop now so I can get back in the kitchen to do what has to be done and then maybe have time to sneak back into the quilt studio and make some more big bird blocks.

7 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog, followed you from a comment you made on another blog. You have so many beautiful quilts here - very inspiring.

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Shasta - Welcome and thanks for commenting. Now, of course, I have a link to your blog, too. I never get tired of looking at other quilts and the work others are doing.

I think we all give each other inspiration in our sharing.

Thank you for your kind words.

Sharon said...

Another great quilt in the works! I love how you pull from your stash and it all comes together so nicely...you have a good "eye". Happy stitching! I baked oatmeal cookies yesterday, too!

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Oh, Sharon! You have no idea how good that makes me feel that you said I have a good "eye!" That's always been my weakest link in the quilting game. Sometimes (thankfully!) it comes easier than others but I'm still not confident on that front. What always surprises me when I dig through my stash is finding myself using a fabric that I've looked at a hundred times and almost thrown out because I just knew I would NEVER use it. Then one day it is exactly the one I need for a certain spot. Don't know exactly what that means . . . but it's interesting.

Happy Oatmeal Cookie eating!

Gigi's Thimble said...

That is going to be beautiful and very stunning. I like your choice of colors! Great job! I know what you mean, about itching to get back in the sewing room. That is always in the back of my mind when I'm doing my motherly/wifey responsibilities. That's sad to say...

beth said...

this quilt is lovely! HOpe you're able to spend lots of time on it today!! I'm quilting a little today....avoiding all the things I should be doing!

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Amber - I loved being a mommy when our daughter was at home, I've always loved being a homemaker and 'bout everything that goes with it, but there is a creative need that quilting satisfies for me that I really need. So I know exactly what you meant by your words above.

Thanks for your encouragement on this little quilt.

Hey, Beth - I DID spend lots of time in my quilt studio today! I'm just about ready to do a new post and show my progress.