Quilt Projects

Click directly on the image(s) above
to open the slide show in a larger window.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Featured Quilt of the Week - "Little Boy Blue"

I don't know what the statistics have been in your neck of the woods, but we've had a preponderance of girl babies born for ever so long among the births of family and friends. As they say, must be something in the water!

However, if you DO know of a male child that has been born and would like a handmade baby quilt, this might be the one for you.


Bold blocks outlined in white sashing with multi-colored corner squares. Perfect for that new little boy.


This quilt is square in size, 39" x 39", and has a piano-key border.


I quilted it with straight lines (tending more toward masculine than feminine, I thought) that show up nicely on the predominantly blue backing.

My preference is to make quilts that don't specifically say "boy" or "girl" but I have to admit that all the time I was constructing this one, I was imagining it as belonging to and keeping a little boy baby warm.

However, if this trend of female babies popping out continues, maybe I SHOULD pull out my stash of pinks and indulge in a couple of strictly "For Baby Girls Only" quilts!

You can read more about this quilt (and see more pictures) along with others I have for sale on my quilt website. Feel free to contact me at mamapea@mamapeaquilts.com if you should ever have any questions about any of my quilts.
.

9 comments:

beth said...

The color combo is great on this one. I especially like that green...does it have dogs on it?
Baby quilts are the best!

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Beth - Dogs and elephants! :o) Thanks for the comment and kind words.

Sharon said...

Love this little quilt! Great colors for a little boy.

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hey, Sharon - Thank you! Now that this quilt has been done for a while, I'm liking it more and more. Don't you find sometimes that by the time you're done with a piece, you've looked at it and thought about it for so long, you no longer see it objectively? Guess that's called being too close to your work!

eva said...

Lovely quilt,

I would like to learn how to put in those corner blocks...between the blocks. Anyone know of a tutorial to show how those are done??

xo
eva

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Eva - There is a really good book (kind of an encyclopedia for quilters) put out by Rodale called "The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide from A to Z - Hundreds of Tips and Techniques for Successful Quiltmaking", Ellen Pahl, Editor. I would recommend it to any and all quilters . . . I refer to it a lot. On page 78 there is an explanation on how to put in corner blocks.

Our little library has a copy and I would think you could find it in a library near you, too.

Happy quilting!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

LOVE. THIS. QUILT. The colors are fantastic!

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Jen - I consider that a true compliment coming from someone who has such good color sense. THANKS!

Jenyfer Matthews said...

You're not exactly a novice yourself :) Blue and yellow and white are always nice together, but I particularly like the addition of the green - and the piano key border is wonderful.