Quilt Projects

Click directly on the image(s) above
to open the slide show in a larger window.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cheating

I know, I know. I'm bad. I haven't even started quilting the baby quilt that's hanging on my design wall taunting me. And I've started another quilt.

This one has been rattling around in my head for some time. I wanted to make a very simple quilt of simple squares on which to try a new method of quilting.

But what colors should I use? Had to be a conglomeration of a bunch of colors because I wanted it to be very patchwork looking. Pulled out way too much fabric and spent way too much time auditioning and rejecting color combos. Then it hit me. Blue and yellow! Blue and yellow ALWAYS looks good.

So I pulled out about fourteen blues and fourteen yellows and cut 4-1/2" squares out of each fabric. I placed them on the design wall ten across and ten down. Forty inches by forty inches. Good size for a baby quilt.

And look! I ended up with only these few squares not used. (Good job, Mama Pea.) But wait. There are enough there for one more row. Shame to waste these . . . or throw them in the scrap box. So I added one more row of ten squares. (Except, of course, I had to cut out one or two (okay, three) more squares of just the right colors to fit in.

The above picture of the squares on the design wall shows the rows across all sewn together, but not the rows up and down.

It's another rainy day in the northland so with luck I'll get back into my quilt studio to work on it more today.

4 comments:

beth said...

yeah for yellow and blue! it looks beautiful!

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Thanks, Beth, for your ever and always support!

Amanda Jean said...

i do love this quilt. i have a large soft spot for simple patchwork.

Mama Pea Quilts said...

amandajean - Thank you, ma'am, for the kind words.