Quilt Projects

Click directly on the image(s) above
to open the slide show in a larger window.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Working on the Bibs

Here it is Friday night and I'm ready for a big night out to celebrate the week's end. Not. More likely that I'm going to be ready for an early-to-bed night than anything else.

Most of my energy this week has been spent trying to hold back the hours in each day from slipping through my fingers so quickly. (And how's that workin' for ya? I can report I was totally unsuccessful and am now exhausted.)

Not having posted anything on this blog since Monday is not usual for me. But try as I might this week, I couldn't get into my quilt studio until today.

But . . . a good day it was. Besides doing a bit of much needed clean-up in the room, I spent time trying to figure out the new pattern for my reversible quilted baby bibs since I've decided to retire my old style which tied in the back.

I've been debating whether to use a snap or Velcro for the closure, and I think I've settled on the snap. Two things I don't like about the Velcro on the bibs: 1) They can be very scratchy on baby's delicate skin; and 2) the Velcro tends to grab onto lots of other fabrics in the washing machine and/or dryer often resulting in a twisted mess.

This is the front of the first bib I made today.

And the back side.

Second one . . .

. . . and the back view.

Both of the above bibs were made in the pillowcase method with no extra binding on the edges, and I'm pleased with this design. This will probably be the way I'll now be making them to list for sale on my website.

The bibs measure approximately 8-1/2" from side to side and 12" from bottom of the bib to the top of the snap closure. This size makes them very adequate for when baby starts feeding himself and food tends to make it neatly into his mouth only a small percentage of the time!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Having used bibs within the last 5 years I will say "good choice!" on the decision to use the snaps. That was one thing I didn't like about bibs, the junk, threads, lint, etc that sticks to the velcro when they come out of the dryer. The bibs are cute, almost makes me want another baby.... I said ALMOST... :)

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I also agree that a snap was a good decision - and what pretty bibs! Almost too pretty to use :)

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, All - If any of you read this blog post early yesterday evening, you noticed I was having some "issues" and in the process of getting them resolved, lost a comment from Beth. Fortunately, I still was able to access her comment in my e-mail file so I'll repeat it below along with my reply to her.

Beth wrote:

Very nice. I can tell from the pics that you are an excellent seamstress! I bet those blocks were hard to center on the bib. At least that would have been one of MY problems with these!

Hi, Beth - Thanks for your compliment! I'm sure quilting was easier to learn for me since I do have a very strong sewing background. (I even used to make my husband's dress shirts . . . how silly was that?)

When I make the bibs, I construct the 6" x 6" block first, then add pieces on both sides, the top and bottom to get the bib shape. So the quilted block is a part of the front of the bib rather than being appliqued or sewn on top of the bib front.

Hey, Erin - I've ALWAYS wanted another baby! Well, not NOW I must admit. But if you wanna go ahead and have another one, I'll supply you with all the bibs you can use! ;o) Thanks for your kind words.

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Jen - Well, now I'm feeling better and better about choosing the snap closure. No, no, no, never too pretty to use! We need all the cheerful, chirky, pretty things in our lives we can get. Besides, bibs get stained and yucky looking no matter what if they're used!

Sandy said...

Cute, cute bibs! I need one of those sometimes, especially when I have Italian food!
I would love to send you back a response when you comment on my blog, but your email is marked "no reply".

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Sandy - Do you know I have seriously thought that it would be a good idea to have some "adult" bibs for when you have people over and serve spaghetti or lasagna, etc.? (I think they make paper - disposable - ones you can buy for just that purpose.)

Thank you for alerting me that my email has been marked "no reply." That has been changed now. (All these little things with the computer than can go awry!)