Okay, this baby quilt top really didn't have to be rescued in any way . . . just sprung from the "To Finish" box that it's been trapped in until I could figure out how to quilt it.
I knew it was too busy for much else other than an all-over quilting motif, but the right inspiration just wouldn't come. I think I've got it figured out now.
Also I wasn't sure of the fabric I wanted to use for the backing. Now I think it's going to have to be a pieced backing made from the two fabrics I couldn't decide between, because it's so big that neither piece totals quite enough yardage! Solves that problem.
The design of this quilt came from my love of the old, traditional block patterns. I used about nine different fabrics, mixing and matching them in the twenty blocks. All the blocks (whew, took a long time to construct all of them!) are held together by the yellow dotted fabric of the sashing and outer border.
I had a great time learning how all the different blocks were made. While I gained a lot of piecing knowledge from the experience, I also now have some new "favorite" blocks that I know I'll use again in other quilts.
Here are close-ups of just three of the blocks picked randomly from the quilt.
This one is called the Improved Four Patch block.
The above block is called Tombstone Quilt. Terrible name, but attractive block!
Then we have the Cheyenne block. This one really appeals to me, and I know I'll use it again.
I hope to get started on the quilting soon and will post pictures when it's done.