Quilt Projects

Click directly on the image(s) above
to open the slide show in a larger window.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

"Sampler Blocks" Baby Quilt Done

It's 6:40 Thursday morning and I just finished the last few stitches of the binding on my Sampler Blocks baby quilt.

I didn't end up getting into bed early on Tuesday night, but last night I was reading in bed by 8:30. (My husband maintains I don't "read in bed" but rather "sleep with the book on my chest." Books last a long time this way.) After my requisite eight hours (maybe a little more last night), I was awake at 5:15 this morning. As soon as my morning latte was brewed, I was sitting sipping and finishing up the binding. (Now that's the way to start a good day!)

I'm very pleased with the way this quilt turned out. My daughter saw the it "in person" for the first time yesterday and suggested I make more quilts using this multiple block pattern. Besides lending an old-fashioned feel to the quilt, including all the different blocks certainly does add eye-appeal. Using the same group of fabrics but switching them around in the various patterns held my interest with no problem throughout all twenty blocks. I really wouldn't hesitate to start in again today on another quilt of the same motif. I'd have to select twenty different blocks this time around, of course. There are so many lovely traditional blocks to choose from that I know I could happily make many, many quilts and never repeat a block.

Although the backing is pieced, it's still simple.

Okay, binding done. Check. Start new project. Check. But whoa a minute here! I think I'm going to be strict with myself and sandwich and quilt another (maybe two?) top(s) I have completed on my design wall. As much as I say piecing a quilt is my favorite part, there really is a lot of satisfaction to be had by holding the totally finished project in my hands.

Happy quilting!

5 comments:

wishes, true and kind said...

Oh my gosh, you sound a lot like me, falling asleep while reading, then waking up early and getting that morning latte going. Also, whenever I make a pattern that is fun and interesting, I want to make it over in a variety of different fabrics just to see how it would look.

Your baby sample quilt is lovely!

joan

Katidids said...

Just beautiful! Great color contrasts & I love the blocks you choose.

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Joan - Thank you! And doesn't it almost knock your socks off at just HOW DIFFERENT the same pattern can look in different fabrics!

Hey, Katie - Thank you very much. Personally, I don't think you can beat a quilt using those old, traditional blocks. It makes me feel so linked to quilters of the past.

beth said...

I also love to work in the morning. not as early as you! But pjs are my preferred attire. :)

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Hi, Beth - I never feel like I "should" be doing something else (like work!) in those early morning hours I steal for quilting. Isn't it silly how easily I fool myself?