Quilt Projects

Click directly on the image(s) above
to open the slide show in a larger window.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wall Hanging Completed

Yes, the decision has been made.

This finished piece has been designated a wall hanging rather than a lap quilt or baby quilt. (The coloration on the picture above is awful, but it was the best I could get with my little camera. It's much prettier than it shows, but I guess you'll just have to take my word for that. Trust me that I wouldn't lie to you though!)

I had thought of using this piece as a wall hanging in the kitchen, but to get it to fit in that particular space I would have had to cut off the outer border on each side so much that it would no longer give a good balance to the quilt. However, I do have a bare paneled wall over our bed in the bedroom where I usually keep a quilt hanging so that's where I'll use it.

Boy, did I get myself into trouble on the binding for this one. I wanted to use the same green dotted fabric as the outer border . . . but didn't have enough of it. Rats. I was really about to panic trying to figure out what I was going to do when I realized I could cut back the backing and batting of the quilt leaving just enough of the front border . . .

. . . to fold to the back to make a (cheater's) passable quasi-bind. Whew! It doesn't look perfect and I wouldn't be happy with it on a quilt I was selling or giving away, but for my own use, nobody will ever know!

I tried to get a couple of shots of the machine quilting.

But I'm not sure how well it shows up in these pictures. I did two concentric circles on each Churn Dash block.

And repeated half and quarter circles in between the blocks out near the outer border. I also quilted in the ditch between the 7-1/2" blocks which are set on point.

The finished measurement of this wall hanging turned out to be 39" x 39".

And another UFO bites the dust! (Gotta admit, my fingers are getting mighty itchy to start something new . . . )

5 comments:

Leigh said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Those are my kitchen colors too! If I had room on my kitchen wall I'd be trying to beg, borrow, or steal it, LOL.

Susan said...

I love it! How do you get those sewn circles so, well, circular? Since green is my favorite color, I think it is absolutely marvelous! What's next???

Karen L. said...

Great circles on that quilt! That's what I like to do too .... put circles on square/rectangular patterns and visa-versa. I like the yin-yang of it. However, you are putting me to shame by finishing off those UFO. I am turning around so give me a kick in the butt to get that going for me too. UFOs are probably what is going to be the death of me. Just got a new-to-me Pfaff and have been reorganizing my sewing room. Oh my, the UFOs that turned up!!! Help!!!!!

Erin said...

very pretty! I love the circle quilting on this!

Mama Pea Quilts said...

Leigh - Nope, it's not nice enough to go in your gorgeous, new kitchen! But thanks for the kind words.

Susan - I cut templates out of freezer paper, iron them on the fabric and stitch around them. Me no dummy! What's next? New blog post comin' up!

Karen L. - Don't be fooled; those dang UFOs multiply if left alone too long. A new (to you) sewing machine? You go, Girl!

Erin - Thank you, ma'am!