Right after dinner tonight I hurry-scurried into my quilt studio and managed to finish hand sewing the binding of this baby quilt I've been working on for . . . forever? Nah, I think it just feels that way.
The lavender/lilac/purple fabrics in the quilt have proven very difficult to photograph. These shots were the best I could do so you'll just have to believe me that it's much prettier in person. Honest.
I started the quilt by choosing this pretty little flower on the yellow background. I ended up using this fabric as the backing also. I knew I wanted to use some lavender and I immediately found two fabrics in my stash that filled the bill. If you look closely you'll see that the flowers have a pink center.
I struggled and struggled to find a pink fabric that looked good with the lavenders but as I neared the point of going cross-eyed and drooling, I finally gave up and decided to go with only the two lavenders.
The block pattern I chose is an old one. It's called Grandmother's Pride and I used a size of 7-1/2". I made twelve blocks, laid them out in rows of three across and four down, added some sashing and I had the center of the quilt. Then I repeated the yellow print for the borders. I was going to use one of the lavender fabrics for the binding but saw that it detracted from the center of the quilt so went with a repeat of the yellow.
Finished size of this baby quilt is 33" x 41". The fabric and batting are 100% cotton. It's most likely going to be sent to a girl baby due to be born this spring.
Now on to another UFO I've had hidden away for too long. (This is fun!)